Upcoming Games

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

We are not planning any more in-person events until the COVID-19 situation has improved.

A current feature that isn't prototypical

You are here: Home > Forum > Wishlist > Features wish list > A current feature that isn't prototypical

Page 1 of 1

A current feature that isn't prototypical 08/09/2021 at 10:54 #141477
Guts
385 posts
The feature where a train had been delayed but calls before departure, but it doesn't leave/depart until the call is answered is not prototypical.

Most drivers will depart as soon as the problem is sorted.

I had a 2 real world delays last week on shift, one at Watford Jn and one at Willesden Jn DC, both ill passengers, the drivers both reported the ill passengers, we called station staff and ambulance attendence, both train departed without any call to the Box, which meant the ill passenger had been removed from the train.

It worked better and more prototypical before, where the train rang but if you cleared the signal the call ended and the train departed.

I think the extra call saying the train is further delayed is brilliant because that sometimes happens, but there are occasions where you cannot replace the signal to danger any way, and once the train departs, the job starts moving and it saves a phone call. IIRC, you get a small ding, which lets you know the/a delayed train has departed

Is there any way for this to be changed back?
Or is the general consensus, that it's a good feature

Last edited: 08/09/2021 at 10:55 by Guts
Reason: None given

A current feature that isn't prototypical 08/09/2021 at 11:25 #141478
Dionysusnu
349 posts
Slightly related - the train triggers TRTS incorrectly when it gets delayed again. So you may clear the signal for TRTS, then answer the phone only to find the driver reporting they've got more delay...
TRTS also activates before the "delay resolved" call is answered, which can create a confusing stuck situation, if there's many phone calls and you don't notice the delay resolved call, so the train won't move after clearing the signal for the TRTS.

A current feature that isn't prototypical 08/09/2021 at 15:03 #141481
Stephen Fulcher
1766 posts
In reality, TRTS will often have little-to-no resemblance to the reality of the readiness of a train to move, it is often pressed by platform staff when trains aren’t ready, I’ve seen it done when the train wasn’t running and had neither a guard or driver on board.
A current feature that isn't prototypical 08/09/2021 at 16:36 #141482
bugsy
1190 posts
Stephen Fulcher in post 141481 said:
In reality, TRTS will often have little-to-no resemblance to the reality of the readiness of a train to move, it is often pressed by platform staff when trains aren’t ready, I’ve seen it done when the train wasn’t running and had neither a guard or driver on board.
I find this hard to believe. Is it because some platform staff don't understand what the TRTS button is actually for?

Everything that you make will be useful - providing it's made of chocolate.
A current feature that isn't prototypical 08/09/2021 at 16:43 #141483
JamesN
1375 posts
bugsy in post 141482 said:
I find this hard to believe. Is it because some platform staff don't understand what the TRTS button is actually for?
It’s more that platform staff end up under pressure to minimise delays and so on, so they just don’t always checks.

Classic example I’ve seen regularly is TRTS being pushed for trains at Reading that haven’t even fully stopped in the platform yet - never mind any unforeseen crew change issues or similar.

The following user said thank you: Stephen Fulcher
A current feature that isn't prototypical 08/09/2021 at 17:35 #141484
jc92
3385 posts
JamesN in post 141483 said:
It’s more that platform staff end up under pressure to minimise delays and so on, so they just don’t always checks.

Classic example I’ve seen regularly is TRTS being pushed for trains at Reading that haven’t even fully stopped in the platform yet - never mind any unforeseen crew change issues or similar.
Same at Sheffield, plunger goes as the train enters the platform.

The other day I saw a driver turn up for a northern unit, hit the TRTS on his way down the platform, then get a phone call to say he didn't have a guard...

"We don't stop camborne wednesdays"
A current feature that isn't prototypical 08/09/2021 at 18:23 #141485
officer dibble
358 posts

Don't get me started on that! Happening too much lately, as are the calls from TVSC to express their dismay at the staff doing it......

A current feature that isn't prototypical 08/09/2021 at 20:54 #141487
9pN1SEAp
619 posts
SimSig also doesn't quite simulate what happened to 2H93 at Carlisle today...

After joining two 3-car 158/79s in a shunt move (previous service didn't depart due to S&C line obstructed & driver out of hours), driver finally got the road after waiting for about 40 minutes, did his brake test... and promptly had to get the signal replaced!

Jamie S (JAMS)
A current feature that isn't prototypical 09/09/2021 at 15:53 #141495
Gwasanaethau
479 posts

There is a (potentially apocryphal) story about the staff at Brighton having done this regularly a good few years back.
– TRTS gets pressed early on platform 2
– Signaller sets the route towards Hove
– Driver for aforementioned train on platform 2 arrives at the Lover's Walk side of the foot crossing unable to cross…

A current feature that isn't prototypical 10/09/2021 at 00:18 #141503
kaiwhara
527 posts
Oh it's very easy to believe actually, as it happens all the bloody time. It used to drive me nuts in Auckland!

Sorry guys, I am in the business of making people wait!