Upcoming Games


Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

We are not planning any more in-person events until the COVID-19 situation has improved.

Timetable editor duplicate does not increment misc times

You are here: Home > Forum > General > Timetabling > Timetable editor duplicate does not increment misc times

Page 1 of 1

Timetable editor duplicate does not increment misc times 06/08/2021 at 15:33 #141010
Dionysusnu
Avatar
465 posts
The times "origin departure" and "destination arrival" under the misc tab are not incremented when duplicating trains. This is easy to miss, and annoying to remember to fix, especially for repetitive small services.
Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: Newhampshires
Timetable editor duplicate does not increment misc times 13/08/2021 at 07:17 #141107
andyallen4014
Avatar
287 posts
Agreed, it would be really useful if this could be changed.
Log in to reply
Timetable editor duplicate does not increment misc times 13/08/2021 at 09:59 #141115
bill_gensheet
Avatar
938 posts
It looks like those fields are mainly how automated import routines can construct the description field, so showing intermedaite steps in the data.

For manual input the main description updates OK so I find that easier.

Bill

Log in to reply
Timetable editor duplicate does not increment misc times 13/08/2021 at 14:57 #141128
Dionysusnu
Avatar
465 posts
bill_gensheet in post 141115 said:
It looks like those fields are mainly how automated import routines can construct the description field, so showing intermedaite steps in the data.

For manual input the main description updates OK so I find that easier.

Bill
So when you want to change how the descriptions are worded, you have to change every single description by hand?
I definitely disagree with that being "easier".
I use the automatic descriptions all the time, and just fill in the misc fields.

Log in to reply
Timetable editor duplicate does not increment misc times 13/08/2021 at 16:37 #141133
bill_gensheet
Avatar
938 posts
Dionysusnu in post 141128 said:
bill_gensheet in post 141115 said:
It looks like those fields are mainly how automated import routines can construct the description field, so showing intermedaite steps in the data.

For manual input the main description updates OK so I find that easier.

Bill
So when you want to change how the descriptions are worded, you have to change every single description by hand?
I definitely disagree with that being "easier".
I use the automatic descriptions all the time, and just fill in the misc fields.
The subject is how to duplicate a lot of otherwise identical trains, given that 'Duplicate' does not (yet maybe ?) alter the origin departure field in 'Misc'
So for say a frequent local service such as:
'06:02 Shenfield - LivSt [306-6]' to '06:17 Shenfield - LivSt [306-6]' and so on every 15 minutes to 23:47.
it is ONLY the origin time needing to be updated, as the rest of the description is unchanged by the definition of these being identical trains getting duplicated.

'Duplicate' works as it does increment a time in the 'Description' for you.
Just set TD to by 2, time by 0:15 and repetitions to 71. Timetable completed.

Log in to reply
Timetable editor duplicate does not increment misc times 13/08/2021 at 16:44 #141134
Dionysusnu
Avatar
465 posts
bill_gensheet in post 141133 said:
Dionysusnu in post 141128 said:
bill_gensheet in post 141115 said:
It looks like those fields are mainly how automated import routines can construct the description field, so showing intermedaite steps in the data.

For manual input the main description updates OK so I find that easier.

Bill
So when you want to change how the descriptions are worded, you have to change every single description by hand?
I definitely disagree with that being "easier".
I use the automatic descriptions all the time, and just fill in the misc fields.
The subject is how to duplicate a lot of otherwise identical trains, given that 'Duplicate' does not (yet maybe ?) alter the origin departure field in 'Misc'
So for say a frequent local service such as:
'06:02 Shenfield - LivSt [306-6]' to '06:17 Shenfield - LivSt [306-6]' and so on every 15 minutes to 23:47.
it is ONLY the origin time needing to be updated, as the rest of the description is unchanged by the definition of these being identical trains getting duplicated.

'Duplicate' works as it does increment a time in the 'Description' for you.
Just set TD to by 2, time by 0:15 and repetitions to 71. Timetable completed.

And now I want to change the format that train descriptions display in, to include arrival time.
With my template way, that's as simple as changing the template, one edit.
With your way, I then have to go to every single train and fix the description manually.

So that's the reason I use the Misc tab.
But I don't think there's anything that means it's impossible or a bad idea to update times in the Misc tab as well.

Last edited: 13/08/2021 at 16:45 by Dionysusnu
Reason: None given

Log in to reply
Timetable editor duplicate does not increment misc times 13/08/2021 at 17:26 #141135
bill_gensheet
Avatar
938 posts
Dionysusnu in post 141134 said:

And now I want to change the format that train descriptions display in, to include arrival time.
With my template way, that's as simple as changing the template, one edit.
With your way, I then have to go to every single train and fix the description manually.

So that's the reason I use the Misc tab.
But I don't think there's anything that means it's impossible or a bad idea to update times in the Misc tab as well.
With 'Misc' you will have already had to enter two times per train manually to start with. Data has to get there somehow.
If I wanted destination arrivals (happens I don't) then until / unless Misc gets time incrementing then I'd still go for Description (for the automation) and then put the TT through an xml hack to add the destination arrival.

Log in to reply
Timetable editor duplicate does not increment misc times 13/08/2021 at 20:02 #141138
Dionysusnu
Avatar
465 posts
bill_gensheet in post 141135 said:
Dionysusnu in post 141134 said:

And now I want to change the format that train descriptions display in, to include arrival time.
With my template way, that's as simple as changing the template, one edit.
With your way, I then have to go to every single train and fix the description manually.

So that's the reason I use the Misc tab.
But I don't think there's anything that means it's impossible or a bad idea to update times in the Misc tab as well.
With 'Misc' you will have already had to enter two times per train manually to start with. Data has to get there somehow.
If I wanted destination arrivals (happens I don't) then until / unless Misc gets time incrementing then I'd still go for Description (for the automation) and then put the TT through an xml hack to add the destination arrival.
You're providing workarounds for an issue that doesn't need to exist in the first place.
I still haven't seen any reason these misc times couldn't be incremented when duplicating. They're already in the time format. Just treat it like the entry time is treated.

Last edited: 13/08/2021 at 20:03 by Dionysusnu
Reason: None given

Log in to reply
Timetable editor duplicate does not increment misc times 13/08/2021 at 20:15 #141139
Steamer
Avatar
3724 posts
#37376 raised to request this.
"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: Dionysusnu
Timetable editor duplicate does not increment misc times 13/08/2021 at 22:51 #141141
GeoffM
Avatar
5831 posts
Steamer in post 141139 said:
#37376 raised to request this.
34376, closed as duplicate.

But you'll be pleased to know I've just done this.

SimSig Boss
Log in to reply
The following users said thank you: Steamer, bill_gensheet, Dionysusnu
Timetable editor duplicate does not increment misc times 25/01/2022 at 19:12 #143817
Dionysusnu
Avatar
465 posts
Just letting you know it works like a charm. Thanks!
Log in to reply